Thursday, February 3, 2022

INTRODUCTION

My name is Maria and I was born and raised in Wollongong, NSW.  Both my parents are Italian immigrants and for as long as I can remember, I was always curious about their life in Italy and loved hearing their stories.  So many people like them, left their homeland for a new life, a better life, reaching many corners of the world.   For my parents, and others, Australia would become their home.
      
Wollongong is home to many Italians, stretching from Helensburgh down to Kiama and even further south.  While there have been stories and books written about the Italians here in Wollongong and the Illawarra, I noticed that they seemed to be the same.  The same stories about the same people.  
    
 I wanted to do something different.  I wanted to go back as far as I could with those who are here now and who can share their stories or those of their families and ancestors.  Such a wonderful and large community of Italians that have laid foundations here in Wollongong, and I wish to share their stories and above all their contributions.
 
The Italian community of Wollongong have come from a diverse range of backgrounds and even traditions.  But it was the love of their homeland and what they left behind that formed a bond between them.  Many were labourers and others opened businesses, some were even professionals and highly skilled.  Yet together they formed the fabric of the Italian community in Wollongong.  The importance of documenting who they were and the legacies they left behind, is truly a gift for future generations.  You will enjoy reading about them and appreciate what it took to move forward.  How they really did create many magical moments!
 
Maria




     


2 comments:

  1. What a brilliant thing to do. I was raised in the gong and even though I'm Irish do have a love of all things Italian and particular and this holds for all Migrants, their stories as to how they got and what the early years were like. My parents struggled in wollongong, it felt very remote at times

    ReplyDelete

ROCCO ANNECCHINI - BUSINESS OWNER

On December 4th 1955, Rocco Annecchini arrived in Freemantle, Western Australia. He sailed into Sydney, NSW on December 10, traveling on the...